Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cape Town

It's good to be back in Cape Town! Only been back for a week and we have mainly been doing a lot of admin, but managed to get out for a morning to Cape Point. Leaving S to go for a walk along the coastline, I jumped in for a shore dive to get some crayfish (lobsters) and then headed out a bit further to look for fish. Swam into a shoal of Atlantic Bonito (little tunas). They were racing about and with my rusty skills and my pounding heart, I managed to get two before a shark showed up and I thought it better to join my wife on the shore. 5 years in the desert will sap your shark-resistance, I can attest to that.

Shore dive

Two Atlantic Bonito (with Cape Point in the background)

Back on the shore, S wanted to go for a swim. I said, jokingly, I would say on the shore and look for sharks. After a few minutes I looked out at S and saw a large dark shape approach and swim past her. By the time she saw me waving, the shark had moved on, nevertheless, she left the water pretty quickly. Again, we blame 5 years in the desert.

When I got out of the car to wave to S, I left the door open. When I looked back, from only 3 meters away, a large baboon was in the car going through our stuff. I shouted and the baboon jumped out with our lunch. I chased it until it stopped and bared it's teeth and then for the second time that day I decided to rejoin my wife rather rapidly. Having given up on the food, but not wanting to leave the packaging out there, I grabbed my speargun and ran at the baboon again. This time it dropped the packaging, took the food and moved off.

So, lunchless, and having been thoroughly put in our place by the local fauna, we decided to call it a day. Good times!

From wildest Africa ;)
A

5 Comments:

Blogger Timmaay said...

Wow! We had the same thing happen to us but it was a kangaroo and he drove off with our car. Sounds crazy there.

4:28 am  
Blogger Cloudbase said...

Dude,

Sounds like the wildlife is very interactive in ZA. I had to referee a cat and dog fight tonight while I was naked! It was a task trying to keep the "vunerable part" away from all the claws and teeth!

9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that shit really, really happen, or are just making all this up to compete with Tim and Lora? (p.s. you're winning)

2:57 am  
Blogger OB said...

you pussy.

2:03 am  
Blogger moyes said...

Whatever dude. That happened to me like ten times this morning.

9:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home