Monday, July 21, 2008

HG

Grove, Don, Ianni and myself had a ball at Signals on Saturday. I showed up on the hill at 11am to find light northerly winds (not good). After waiting for about an hour with Kyle (who came to check it out despite not being able to fly that day - something Grove would later thank him for) and Don (who had showed up on his motorbike), it started to pick up a bit. We could see the wind-line out to sea was moving in, so I started to rig my new glider (WW U2 145) for its first real flight.


Ianni in front of Table Mountain


As I finished rigging, Grove showed up and begun setting up, only to discover he was without his harness! This is where Kyle rapidly became Grove's favorite person by telling him he had a harness in his car and Grove could borrow it.

Looking back at launch from Signals

In the meantime, I had launched and I boated around for a hour while Grove got sorted out below. Conditions were mellow and the ridge lift ceiling was about 130m above take off. The wind was quite W at this point, making it impossible to get on to Lions Head. Still, I was very happy to be in the air, putting the U2 through its paces.

Grove over Signals

After Grove launched, we flew together for a hour or so, until Don arrived back at launch with his ATOS. While Don rigged, Grove toplanded and disappeared to get some refreshments. If anything conditions had improved, and I was still enjoying being in the air, so I flew about waiting for Don to get airborne, whilst dive-bombing the spectators for entertainment.

Grove flies over some spectators on the launch

Don on his ATOS-VR


Sometime later Ianni arrived and started to set up his tandem. Eventually Grove launched again and then Ianni, and the four of us played around in the sky for the better part of an hour.


Don and Grove


I had now been in the air for almost 4 hours, so I headed out to Mouille Point, loving the glide on the U2 and had a perfect landing. Well almost perfect. Don, who landed immediately after me, pointed out that I had landed 15m further from the pub than absolutely necessary, whereas he had landed directly opposite the pub. I conceded that one and carried my glider back to his while he ran across the road and returned with 2 beers.

Gliding out with Mouille Point in the background

I don't think I have to emphasize how fabulous it is to drink a cold beer in the sun, on the grass, next to your glider, after a lovely flight at Signals. It is pretty fabulous.


While Don and I were living it up at Mouille Point, Grove and Ianni had toplanded and kindly did the shuttle.

A really fun day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Timmaay said...

Cool! A new wing! Keep the blog posts coming.

10:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home