Shark attack
Last weekend, while watching Bruce spearfishing at Smitswinkel Bay, I noticed a shadow following him. I got my camera out and caught this sequence of shots of a shark (probably a Bronze Whaler) trying to take his fish off his buoy. It was far away, so the shots are a bit grainy, but you get the idea.
The shark following the buoy (orange), with Bruce in the foreground.
It followed the buoy for about 5 mins before trying to take the fish.
Attack: The shark grabs the fish and thrashes with it.
Bruce feels the pull on the line and spins around.
This is not a good feeling.
Bruce sees the splashing and knows some action is necessary to save his fish and prevent the situation getting a litttle out of control. He turns around and gets his speargun pointing in the right direction.
Bruce charging back to his buoy. For those of you who know Bruce, you are
probably feeling a little sorry for the shark right now.
The shark following the buoy (orange), with Bruce in the foreground.It followed the buoy for about 5 mins before trying to take the fish.
Attack: The shark grabs the fish and thrashes with it.Bruce feels the pull on the line and spins around.
This is not a good feeling.
Bruce sees the splashing and knows some action is necessary to save his fish and prevent the situation getting a litttle out of control. He turns around and gets his speargun pointing in the right direction.
Bruce charging back to his buoy. For those of you who know Bruce, you areprobably feeling a little sorry for the shark right now.




2 Comments:
I think I would have given the shark the fish.
Wikipedia on the bronze whaler:"It can be dangerous to spearfishers with recently speared fish, and also towards surfers as its prey is often found in the surf." I notice your first reaction was to reach for your camera, not for help... I guess Bruce is more than a match for any shark?
Post a Comment
<< Home