Cloud flying at Dasklip
There was great flying at Porterville last Sunday. Conditions were epic off Dasklip launch, with a PG skying out at 11am. I only managed to get off launch at 12pm by which time 10 or so PG's were ahead down the ridge. The sky was filled with clouds, cloudbase wasn't that high, but the lift was everywhere.
Cloud in the Valley
I raced down the ridge, trying to fly as fast as possible, and caught and passed the PGs. I got to the Pass after 55 mins, my fastest time.
From the pass, I routed straight over towards Maanberg and on into the Citrusdal valley ahead of Constriction. I was able to cloud fly for the first time on this route, which was really fun. Climbs were smooth and strong, to cloudbase at around 1800m later in the day.
Over the Pass
Heading for Constriction
Through Constriction, I made an error in not pushing deep enough into a valley to find lift and found myself low over a airfield 71kms out. The westerly had picked up and there was a very turbulent thermal kicking off from behind a ridge drifting strongly for the dam and poor landing options. I fought it for awhile, thinking if I could get high there would be no risk, but the climb rate to drift was not in my favour. I turned back, knowing that this would put me on the ground, which it did.
Cloud streets into the Cederberg
As I derigged, 2 PG's came and landed in the same field as I, after very slow and turbulent approaches into the WNW wind. I also saw a PG under the clouds to the east of the dam, which I think was probably the better route on the day.
A really fun flight and good practice for our upcoming "Distance mission".
Airtime: 2h40, 71kms.





1 Comments:
Nice one Adam. We have a foot of snow in the Reno valley right now. Not much thermal flying but some decent soaring close by.
Tim
Post a Comment
<< Home