Saturday, January 30, 2010

Valley flying at Porterville


A 69km "almost" triangle...

Ever since my return to Porterville a couple years ago, I have never flown a valley task. Instead, I have preferred to head north or south along the ridge and then jump over the back to go for linear distance. However, I have been fascinated by the idea of trying to do a big triangle across the valley. But to be honest, flying into the valley intimidated me. Where do you find the lift without a big mountain to guide you? Flat land flying has always seemed like the most technically challenging hang gliding to me and I have been worried that I would find myself on the ground after one glide from the mountain. I haven't wanted to waste a good day like this, nor have I wanted to try it when conditions were not perfect.

Eric thermalling over the N7, with the pass in the distance

Finally, on Sunday we decided to go for it. The forecast was for light winds and not a particularly high base. It didn't look like a good day for trying to go over Pakhuis and we didn't have retrieve anyway. Although there were 9 HG pilots on launch, no-one other than Eric and I were motivated to go far. Gustav said it seemed like a good day for a valley task and so the seed was planted. Eric and I agreed to try and fly to the 30km to the pass and then if we were still in the air and together, try for the 34km valley crossing into wind, to Piketberg. Considering our lack of flat land experience, a 34km into wind task was ambitious. Just the way I like it ;)

I launched first, shortly after some PGs and immediately found myself low down and heading out to turkey. I was unzipped and gliding out hoping to make it over the road to a nice LZ when I hit some lift. I hung on and was able to make it back up to ridge height as I drifted north. Phew! Tough way to start the flight, but I was stoked as I had thought I was in turkey for sure.

My low save. Eric's track above.

I battled down the ridge in the ratty conditions, following Eric who had climbed out well after take off and was higher and ahead of me. At Bumpy, I caught up with Eric and got high in a nice thermal. We pushed on to the Pass. Eric stopped for a climb at Goedeman's Kraal, while I kept moving for the Pass.

It was here that Eric made the decision that made the day. He had topped out on his climb while I was still working mine. He was 3,5kms behind me. Instead of flying towards me to catch up, he headed out 45 degrees from me into the flats. I saw this and as I topped out, I flew out to intersect his course. We were on our way!

Eric and my track logs as we head away from the pass into the valley

I was convinced this was going to be a long glide to the ground and had picked out some nice trees to land next to, but as Eric and I converged about 4km from the ridge, we flew into strong, friendly lift and climbed back up nicely. This was to be the pattern for the next 20kms as we worked together, spreading out on glides and then converging on the strongest core. It was fantastic to be banked up together in a thermal, climbing over the flats with such huge ground clearance.

High in the valley

At Pools, 20km into the valley, I left on a long glide towards Piketberg. I was worried about the headwind picking up and was keen to press on before it got too strong. Eric decided to stay back to max out his climb. As I glided out alone, I suddenly felt exposed. It had been so fun to fly with Eric and it had doubled our thermal finding power. I hoped I wasn't going to land short after such an epic flight.

Eric thermalling over Pools

Luckily I found strong lift about 10km from Piketberg that got me back up again and I knew I would make it on glide. I pushed on hard now, hoping to get up at Piketberg and start the trip back to Porterville. I flew over the town and headed cross-wind down the road to Porterville. I was low, but found some lift which I managed to get a couple of hundred meters out of. However, I didn't like the drift taking me away from the road and so beat back upwind looking for something else. Unfortunately I was a little too low to play this game and didn't find anything before I had to turn and land, 7km past Piketberg towards Porterville.

In the meantime, Eric was finding the headwind hard going into Piketberg. He landed safely just past the town.

On glide towards Piketberg

So, we made it! An epic crossing and definitely one of my best flights ever. Mainly because I got to share it with Eric. When Eric and I learnt to hang glide together, almost 10 years ago, we dreamt of this sort of flight. It was great to finally pull it off. Climbing up together in thermals, high above the wheat fields, far away from the security blanket of the ridge, was an experience I won't forget in a hurry.

Airtime: 3h40
Distance: 69km

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome!!!! :-)))) Thanks Adam. Like I said, I love your reports and the GPS log pics. Once again I flew the poerterville valley! Johan

12:55 pm  
Blogger Dick said...

Great flight and great report Adam and Eric!

5:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home